Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Love without power?

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic. Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best is power correcting everything that stands against love." — Martin Luther King Jr.

I read the above quote the other day and it started me thinking…Now I love Martin Luther King and pretty much everything the man said is filled with passion and love for the Lord, but the above quote bothered me. Specifically “love without power is sentimental and anemic.” 1 John 4:8 says “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.” If God is love than technically we can not have love without power. Can we?

I think the problem today is that we throw the word love around too easily, and for the wrong things and then love gets a bad rap. Anytime we love someone, they are affected, even if it is not evident. Anytime we do something out of love for someone, it only benefits them in the end. Now don’t misunderstand me, I’m not talking about lust and temptation, which often gets confused with love; I’m talking about true, other centered, God filled, love. The kind that accepts unconditionally, no matter how messed up we are, the kind that forgives all things, that rejoices and cries with us, and the kind that always wants the best for us. I know that Mr King was talking about love as it pertains to justice, but even then I don’t think you can have love without power.

                                                               …God is love and He is all powerful…

Jesus replied, “What is impossible with human beings is possible with God.” Luke 18:27

Where do you see God today?

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment